Thursday, October 08, 2009

Salvaging a Photo by Cropping (Picasa)

I just recently started taking photos. I had always given way to letting my husband and family members take the photos. I have found that even if you are a beginner, you can often salvage those photos that seem to have nothing to offer.

For instance, while at a recent event, where my husband was the star attraction, there was no one to do the photography, but me. So I whipped out his fancy camera, tried to utilize the zoom to focus in on the action of the moment. As I had never really used his camera, I wasn’t very successful in capturing his rocketing speed around the racetrack.



Since the number of pixels for his camera offered me a smaller photo area within the original photo of still good resolution to produce a better photo, I decided to try cropping and editing in Picasa again.

I double clicked on the original photo, bringing up the ‘Basic Fixes’ tab option.

Then I clicked on ‘Crop’ and this brought up the pop-down menu that allowed me numerous common sizes that I might like to use for producing a nice snapshot (4x6, 5x7, 8x10), manual cropping, or for use in slideshow or video production (4:3, 16:10, 16:9). These standard sizes allow one to produce the right pixel dimensions without manually having to guess.

The nice option to undo the crop, and recrop the photo is an extra nice option.

The use of digital cameras, photo editing software has allowed us to all to pick up the camera and give it a shot!

No comments: